[extropy-chat] Agreement on principles. (was Microsoft)

KAZ kazvorpal at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 14:48:45 UTC 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: John K Clark <jonkc at att.net>

> "Eugen Leitl" <eugen at leitl.org>

> > democracy can NEVER work better than a free market in the long run.

> You are absolutely positively 100% correct Eugen, and that's why I find your
> position puzzling. A bunch of Linux nerds voted on a E mail standard in a
> democratic election and you regard their decree as gospel, Holy Writ, a
> fundamental law of the universe. Meanwhile the free market has decided that
> it prefers a different standard set by outlook express and you treat it
> with contempt.

I'm pretty sure he was attempting to rebutt me with a reductio ad absurdum argument, though he obviously failed, since his faith in bureaucracy caused him to overlook the fact that what HE thinks of as "democracy", majority rule, really is markedly inferior to the free market (meaning each person ruling his own life and deciding what decisions to make in each case separately).

It's funny to watch academics and elitist-wannabes angrily declaring free choice to be an evil mistake, because their favorite stuff is constantly passed over for stuff which is objectively better, thanks to their personal criteria for value judgement being wrong.

History's littered with their remains. I always go back to Beta and OS/2, though, as the most laughable examples of inferior products being touted by people with poor judgement, a few of whom stick with them to this day.

--
Words of the Sentient:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the
E-Mail: KazVorpal at yahoo.com
Yahoo Messenger/AIM/AOL: KazVorpal
MSN Messenger: KazVorpal at yahoo.com
ICQ: 1912557