[extropy-chat] no electronics at Singularity Summit???

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon May 22 23:32:38 UTC 2006

On 5/22/06, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> How true is this "quite well" and "fully participating"?

It's true in the cases I'm referring to.

I have a dim
> memory of studies actually looking at this, and finding performance
> deficits, but I don't remember any specifics.  Well, cell phones
> hampering drivers.

Well yeah, having one hand completely occupied and unavailable for the
steering wheel or gear stick is going to be a problem with a real-time
physical task like driving. I don't think it's a good analogy here.

Some tasks do go well in parallel because they're
> both automatic *and* using different parts of the brain; reading and
> listening don't seem so segregated.
>
> I hang out a fair bit with undergrad gamers, many of whom seem to have
> the attention span of a ferret.  It annoys *them* sometimes, let alone
> me, when they realize that their role playing game is inching forward
> because half the players get distracted every five minutes.

It probably depends on the person. I'm choosy about who I invite to my
games; whether most people of average intelligence could multitask that
well, I don't know.