[extropy-chat] Is Telepathy a safer route?

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 17:44:48 UTC 2006

I'm talking way, way, way out of my league here, but I'll give it a shot anyway. Would a safer approach to super-intelligence be through human to human telepathy - mediated by electronics (using essentially unenhanced humans, spare the telepathy machinery)?  If some sort of non-intrusive scanning or sensing machine ( a really souped up fMRI ?) could produce a useful information stream to another implanted human, or a group of implanted humans, could the collective processing power be another (possibly safer) route to super-intelligence? Perhaps there could be some sort of filtering device where say 100 "connected" humans would cooperatively process a specified problem using their parietal lobes, while another 100 "connected" humans were cooperatively processing the same problem using the prefrontal cortex, and so on.

  I think that one of the greatest dangers of super-intelligence is the distinct possibility that when it emerges (even if as an upload), it will be completely unrivaled; there will be only a single mind with that awesome power, rather than several or many of comparable intelligence and differing intentions.

  A collective "meat-machine" super-intelligence would consist of many distinct minds, values, and interests. It's collective "circle of empathy" (Jaron Lanier) would likely be huge. No single individual from within the collective would be significantly more intelligent than any other member, and so no specific "world view" would dominate any others. And psychopaths could presumably be screened from the group. It would be kind of like a meaty version of Mr. Yudkowsky's "CEV".

  Although this may turn out to be a moot point if a pure AGI is created within the time frame that some AI experts believe (1 or 2 years from now, maybe less). If pure AGI does take much longer, like a few decades, then this other potential approach might be useful (or might not - don't know).

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich

http://mail.yahoo.com