[extropy-chat] Are ancestor simulations immoral? (An attempted survey)

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed May 24 20:40:50 UTC 2006

On 5/24/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at tsoft.com> wrote:

> I know that you and Russell feel this way, but the snooping by your
> AI master could be well-nigh invisible.

Let me clarify my position: the scenario I was objecting to was one where an
inescapable government starts exerting micro-level control over what people
can do with technology and their own lives on the pretext of preventing
abuse; human nature being what it is, that path inevitably leads to a
nightmare dystopia whose one saving grace is that it probably leads on to
extinction of all sentient life.

If you're talking about a hypothetical post-Singularity world where an AI
goes around making sure nobody creates hell worlds filled with pure
pointless suffering, but otherwise leaves people alone (this would have to
be an AI, if it were a human the innate desire to wield more power would
take over), that would be a different thing altogether.