[extropy-chat] Are ancestor simulations immoral? (An attempted survey)

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 17:22:01 UTC 2006

Although I was completely sincere in everything I wrote in my last post on this thread, I realize that it may have come across as excessively morbid. I did not mean to put a damper on this particular topic; perhaps I can rephrase my position on this.

  My vision of the Singularity has been where the whole purpose of the Singularity is to bring more "Goodness" to this blindly cruel and indifferent Universe. If the Singularity is not about bringing universal joy, love, compassion, and beauty to this dead Universe, then *what* is its purpose? Does the Singularity boil down to a frenzied power struggle? Where the "winner" is rightfully entitled to do *anything* ve wishes in the name of "Freedom", with zero regard for morality? A struggle where the primary deciding factor is purely blind luck - being at the right place at the right time? I'm sorry, but that's a really f****d up reason for pursuing the Singularity.

  If we believe that someone in the future should be allowed to do absolutely *anything*, then we should allow someone in the future to trigger an existential disaster that ends all life, in the name of "Freedom". Note: I am not at all advocating this action, I'm just pointing out a glaring contradiction within this particular philosophy.

  What exactly is the quality that makes a "simulated" being of lower value and importance than a "real" being? Both are comprised of hardware and software, and they both exist at the "real" layer of "reality". One is simply a slave and the other a master. Does a "real" being have some mystical birthright that gives it absolute authority over a newly created "simulated" being? No. One being was simply lucky (and born early) and the other being was simply very misfortunate (and born late).

  This would basically be the same result as if today, half the world's population rounded up the other half and proceeded to torture them mercilessly. The difference would be that in the future, the victims of torture could be made to never die, and instead endure terrible pain for all eternity (or for at least as long as the Universe exists).

  I'm sorry to use a tired expression, but: Imagine yourself in the shoes of the "simulated" being, at the complete mercy (or lack thereof) of your "real" simulator. Does it still feel like an acceptable situation? I doubt it.

  A universe whose post-human occupants do nothing to stop gratuitous torture of "simulated" beings is just about as bad a Dystopia as I can possibly imagine. That Universe would be "worse than worthless", IMO. It would be better if that Universe had never spawned life to begin with, because as such, at least none would suffer.

  I'm sorry if these posts sound excessively dramatic or harsh. This topic is one I have very strong feelings about (probably above any other topic) and I don't wish to suppress myself, I wish to be blatantly honest.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich

http://mail.yahoo.com