[extropy-chat] Role of MWI and Time Travel

Anne-Marie Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Fri May 26 03:36:01 UTC 2006

Lee Corbin <lcorbin at tsoft.com> wrote:    But I'm just getting started. Not only do souls and God exist,but so does
  Santa Claus. After all, Santa Claus can be defined
as that spirit of Christmas happiness and generosity enjoyed by
millions around the world, especially children. Of course
Santa Claus exists (under this non-standard use of the term).

  >Anna rewrites from wiki:

  >Santa Claus (also known as Father Christmas, Saint Nicholas, Saint Nick, Kris >Kringle or simply Santa) is the North American and British variant of the European
  >folk tale of Saint Nicholas, explaining the source of Christmas presents given to
  >children on Christmas Day. He forms part of the Christmas tradition throughout
  > then English speaking world as well as in Latin America and Japan.

  >Anna replies:
  >Anybody that shares generosity:)

  >>Russell writes
> >But irrespective of one's view on the nature of the soul,
>> physics etc, I claim that "uncaused decision" is an oxymoron.

  >Anna writes: why or how come and what's an "uncaused decision"?

  Lee Corbin:
I agree with you in the strictest meanings of terms; but in the
example I gave where (for example) in the "physics" of Thomas
Aquinas both souls exist and uncaused decisions are the norm,
"uncaused decision" is not an oxymoron. It's simply an incorrect
description of the real world.

  Anna asks:
  >>So what do you think is an inscription of the real world is?

  Lee Corbin writes:
   I will claim that my definition (which I'm glad you like,
btw) _is_ the everyday meaning of the term (and therefore
that free will does exist in the everyday meaning).

Well, we might have to conduct a poll to see who is right, but
my guess is that the everyday definition most people would use
is that of an uncaused decision: namely, most people do believe
in souls of a non-mechanical nature, and that it is possible
for a soul to simply decide to do something, and to do it without
following any laws of physics.

Lee

  Again just being curious:)
  Anna