[extropy-chat] Freedom and Practicality

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun May 28 07:52:04 UTC 2006

On May 27, 2006, at 6:49 PM, Lee Corbin wrote:

> Samantha writes
>
>>> There is, unfortunately, at the present time NO ALTERNATIVE but for
>>> citizens to keep a close enough watch on each other---or enable
>>> their governments to be able to keep such a watch---to ward off
>>> total destruction.
>>
>> How close is close?
>
> Just---pray for us---the very minimum it takes to keep WMD out of
> the hands of small groups and individuals.

That minimum is very intense surveillance of everyone.  Not good.

>> What do you mean "no alternative".
>
> No alternative to millions of deaths.

Why live your live or advocate running others lives based on such fears?

>> How would you watch if you don't know what you are looking for?
>> If you do know then there are other means of more or less just-
>> in-time detection.
>
> That sounds just fine to me.

But you can't know what you are looking for completely, can you?

>> If, and it is a large if, nut jobs could easily take out cities, then
>> I would still prefer to live under that chance occurrence than the
>> very certain evils of total surveillance.
>
> Your feelings will change the day that several million people die
> in San Francisco or New York.

No, they will not.  The nuts have one if we orient all of life around
finding and stopping them.

>>> Therefore, the absolute *minimum* intrusion into our lives must
>>> logically be arranged---either now, when we can do so calmly and
>>> rationally---or later, after the first cities have gone up.
>>
>> What does this look like?  How is it rational to govern that much of
>> our lives on the worse case scenario?  Where are the trade-offs?
>
> There is no simple answer that I know of. I can only hope that
> Western nations have elected people who aren't so clueless that
> they see no danger, or aren't so overbearing that they use the
> real dangers to persecute the innocent.

You know and I know that evil (and/or clue free) SOBs are in charge.
Now what?

> Alas, it will be a fine
> balance, and the only thing for sure is that we will take---and
> are taking---risks.

I will take my chances with the terrorists over total government lock
down.

>>> But the bottom line is: unless it's a threat to *everything*---
>>> outside monitoring of what individuals are doing ought to be
>>> prevented (by checks and balances, of course).
>>
>> A threat to even a city in not a threat to everything.
>
> Your life will be affected in tremendous ways by the first nuclear
> attack upon the nation in which you live.

My life is already tremendously affected by the mass paranoia and
uses thereof that have been going on for the last five years.  I
don't need any more of this.

- samantha