[extropy-chat] Training the immune system

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun May 28 18:09:46 UTC 2006

On May 28, 2006, at 3:44 AM, BillK wrote:
> Sorry, incorrect.  The native Americans were mostly killed by
> smallpox. Though chicken pox and measles also killed many due to
> malnutrition and poor healthcare.  Up to 80% died, by some estimates.
>
> Europeans had little genetic protection against these diseases, as
> shown by the many epidemics in Europe. They did have antibodies
> protection, through childhood exposure, cow pox exposure and primitive
> vaccination-type treatments as smallpox typically killed around 20-40%
> of those infected in Europe.

You are not disagreeing with me.  My point was that if you put two
populations together in a Metal Cage Death Match with pathogens being
the weapon of choice, a population that even has a 10% resistance to
a given pathogen has an enormous advantage.  In the specific case of
smallpox, virus exposure figures very prominently but it was probably
not the only reason.

I am thinking of population level interaction, not individual.  Yes,
many Europeans died from diseases, but that served to concentrate
disease resistance genes in the population.  In practice, many of
these mutations generated resistance to diseases to which the
Europeans had never been exposed e.g. HIV.  There is not
insignificant evidence of regular catastrophic epidemics due to a
variety of hemorrhagic fevers and other nasty diseases in Europe.

Again, the more interesting question to me is why the Europeans
appear to have collected so many disease resistance mutations
relative to other genomes, and from what I have read and heard from
researchers there is a noticeable difference in the number of
resistance markers in European populations versus others.  This may
be a case of insufficient information about the genome at large, but
I would not expect disease resistance to be evenly distributed either
so it makes a reasonable starting point for discussion.  A popular
theory is that the demographic and cultural specifics of Europe
encouraged frequent die-offs from disease, but  it is not clear that
this was a unique characteristic of Europe in the last couple
thousand years.

The Europeans managed to span the globe and were exposed to a variety
of diseases, yet I cannot think of a disease they were exposed to
that they were particularly susceptible to compared to other
populations.  There are a number of infectious diseases that have
significant asymmetries in their effect on some ethnic groups, but
the Europeans seemed to fare pretty well despite a rich set of
exposures to diseases outside their experience.  The populations they
interacted with often did far worse when exposed to European
diseases.  (Parts of this may also have had something to do with
differences in medical protocol between populations.)

J. Andrew Rogers