[extropy-chat] Freedom and Practicality

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun May 28 22:20:24 UTC 2006

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>

>The overreaction to this event will be a hundred times worse than the
>damage caused by the actual terrorist act." The last thought was
>understated by, oh, three orders of magnitude or so.  I would estimate that
>the overreaction to 9/11 was around five orders of magnitude worse than
>9/11.

A bit of hyperbole here. 911 killed about 3000 people and bad as the idea of
going to war in Iraq was it has not killed 300 million nor is it likely to;
but I may be too analytical and should treat it as poetic license because I
think the point you were trying to make was largely correct.

   John K Clark