[extropy-chat] Desirability of Happiness, Etc.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon May 29 16:52:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 05:30:59PM +0100, Russell Wallace wrote:

> The general trend since the Stone Age has been for the minimum group size
> for effective action (for both good and harm) to always increase with
> advancing technology. Technophiles have tended to assume without evidence

Whoa. I would like to see the reasoning behind this claim. It takes many
people to build a nuke, but it takes a single person to detonate it.
Designer MDR pathogens or other self-replicating malware package
even more wallop in a smaller envelope.

You sure can build an atlatl, but how many can you kill with it, before
being overwhelmed yourself?

> that this trend will reverse in the future. Robin Hanson does a good job of
> explaining why this belief actually constitutes evidence not about the

I don't know what he explains, but assymetric warfare is not a war.