[extropy-chat] Are ancestor simulations immoral?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed May 31 15:06:08 UTC 2006

On 5/31/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at tsoft.com> wrote:

> Please!!  To those of you in the far future who are running this
> simulation!  JEFFREY IS OUT OF HIS MIND, AND IS NOT SPEAKING FOR
> THE REST OF US!  This is a very *fine* simulation, thank you!
> It's just swell!  We are so grateful!

Lee has a good point here. Suppose this is a simulation. Would you rather
the simulators had just left the machines running a flying windows screen
saver? Would you rather not have lived at all? Me, I think on the whole life
as it is has positive value, so I prefer it to not having lived. (Now I
think there are ways it could have more strongly positive value; but the
solution to that is to work on improving it, not to proclaim simulations
immoral.)