[extropy-chat] Edge: Thank Goodness! By Daniel C. Dennett

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Fri Nov 3 23:39:55 UTC 2006

Russell Wallace wrote:
> On 11/3/06, *Ensel Sharon* <user at dhp.com <mailto:user at dhp.com>>
> wrote:
>
> "If Dennett is such a fucking genius, why doesn't he recognize the
> problem of labeling things "thoughtcrime" ?  Further, how dare he
> suggest that I do anything with my time and kilowatts, or dispose of
> my own property in any way, other than exactly as i see fit ?  The
> notion that he would impose upon others some kind of minimum
> acceptable level of function and efficiency in their thoughts and
> actions is absurd.  If certain time, energy and kilowatts belong to
> me, I will dissipate them in any way I see fit, and as efficiently as
> I see fit."
>
> Seconded. This sort of junk from people like Dennett is exactly
> isomorphic to "it's a mortal sin to deny the existence of God" from
> religious fundamentalists, only the labels have been switched around.

http://www.edge.org/documents/archive/edge195.html#dd

No.  Isomorphism would be "You prayed to God so now I'm going to kill
you / put you in jail / fine you, for your thoughtcrime."

As for Dennett suggesting that people are doing something wrong by
praying instead of helping - that they are thereby committing a moral
sin, in need of forgiveness - why, yes, you're right, that is somewhat
like a theologian who *peacefully argues with you*, for what he
conceives to be your own benefit, that you are committing a mortal sin
by denying the existence of God.  Of course, Dennett lives by a higher
standard of rationality than a theologian - it would be going much too
far to say that the theologian is simply committing an innocent mistake.
  It is not innocent.  The theologian could and should know better, and
others are harmed by the laxity.  Like my grandparents, who will die
without being frozen.  As is shown easily enough by Dennett's example of
the medical industry, you don't need to use violence to promote your
beliefs, in order to harm people with wrong beliefs.  Yes, you *can*
hurt other people by being lax with yourself, forgiving yourself your
nonsense, holding yourself to too low a standard.  It is this
understanding of strictness that makes modern medicine effective.

But that Dennett is allowed to peacefully argue that people *should not*
pray, that they harm others by praying, that they harm themselves by
praying, that it's a stupid idea and humanity should get the hell over
it already - no, it's not so different from a theologian being allowed
to peacefully argue to you that you are committing a mortal sin by
denying God.  The support justifying the two beliefs are very different,
and it so happens that the first is right and the second is wrong.  But
how would we know that if people were not allowed to publicly debate
their reasons?  It happens to be true that the Earth goes around the
Sun, and false that the Sun goes around the Earth.  But the sin of
Galileo's inquisitors was not that they happened to pick the wrong side
of the factual dispute - everyone makes mistakes.  Their lesser and
forgiveable sin was that they chose their side irrationally (rather than
making the mistake because of e.g. experimental error).  Their greater
and unforgiveable sin was that they enforced their beliefs with a sword.

To compare Dennett to a religious fundamentalist is silly; if you wish
to insult him with some trace of plausibility, compare him to an
academic theologian.  And to suggest that they are automatically on the
same level, or committing the same mistake, because they dare to air
their views and advise others on what to think - that is foolish.  (It
is written:  "The fifth virtue is argument.")  The theologian has chosen
his belief irrationally, and yes, others are harmed by that, and yes, he
is responsible for the results, just as a doctor would be.  But that he
and Dennett should both put forth their views openly, and argue about
them, is only right and proper.  A doctor must, in the end, treat a
patient based on whatever diagnosis seems most probable.  If he chooses
wrongly and based on sloppy thinking, then he is at fault, and his sin
is very grave.  But a doctor cannot do better in general by treating
patients based on diagnoses that seem less probable, or by refusing to
treat patients.