[extropy-chat] META: list delivery [was: Identity (Survival tangent)]

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 15:05:32 UTC 2006

On 11/4/06, Heartland <velvethum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> P.S. For some reason only 1 out of your last 5 messages found its way to
> my inbox. I could find the other four only in the archives.

This concerns me.  I too have noticed from time to time threads which I
can't find the start of or seem to have lost the middle of.

Now, I assume since I'm using gmail that Google's end of things doesn't drop
stuff.  But I don't regularly go through my SPAM folder to look for
"pseudo-drops". In nearly a year of using gmail I am only aware of one
instance where a post from Keith got mislabeled.

The question *is* -- are statistics kept on non-delivered or dropped
emails?  Or is there some way of putting a trace on messages or threads?
One would wonder why in this day and age there are not active web pages
which report in real time "list state", i.e. daily or hourly -- "messages
received, messages delivered, messages pending delivery, messages failed
delivery, etc."  Providers like gmail or hotmail or AOL must have this stuff
for internal problem analysis.  Couldn't we get something like that for the
ExI list but have it be "public" so people can to some extent do
"self-diagnosis" when they are having a problem?

I ask this because this problem comes up from time to time and there doesn't
appear to be any way to determine whether we should be blaming the "sending"
machine(s) or the "receiving" machine(s) (or perhaps the recipient).

Robert