[extropy-chat] Humor: Gmail [was: Agency as Prime Determinant of Personal Identity]

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 18:00:23 UTC 2006

On 11/4/06, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Install the CustomizeGoogle extension to Firefox and tick the 'Remove
> ads' boxes. You won't see gmail ads any more.
>
> They can stick their 'intelligent advertising' so far as I'm concerned.

Ones mileage may vary.  I can cite numerous occasions where I've been doing
medical research, corporate development research, etc. (Using Google vs.
Gmail) and the ads have actually been useful.  The cost is very low (I don't
have to ask the question or type in the keywords) -- the value of the
"answers" is of course open to debate.

So for some the advertising is *always* noise.  For others the advertising
is semi-useful.  I am surprised however that there has not sprung up, at
least that I'm aware of, someplace a blog or equivalent on "wierd things
google connects".

Robert