[extropy-chat] Survival tangent.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat Nov 4 18:36:47 UTC 2006

Heartland, High Priest of the Unique Atom and Sacred Original Cult Wrote:

> *seeing*two places at the same time and *being* in two places at the same
> time are two different things.

If the concept of "place" has any meaning at all when your talking about a
mind it's where the sense organs are. In human beings that place is not far
from the brain but that is just a historical accident.

> Two brains weighing 1.4kg cannot share the same spatiotemporal
> location and still weigh 1.4kg. Two unconnected instances of
> mind cannot be a single instance of mind.

So mind weighs 1.4kg, how much does green weigh?

> that 2 things cannot be at the same place and time has nothing to do with
> "evolutionarily derived notions of self" (what I'm saying just happens to
> apply to notions of "self" as well) but everything to do with the law of
> conservation of mass/energy.

We've known for over 70 years, ever since the 2 slit experiment was done
with electrons, that one thing can be in 2 places at once. And we know that
2 things can be in the same place and time, in fact it has been proven
experimentally that 3600 can. And that was 3 years ago.

http://www.aip.org/pnu/2003/split/626-1.html

   John K Clark