[extropy-chat] Edge: Thank Goodness! By Daniel C. Dennett

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sat Nov 4 22:34:12 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 00:03 +0000, Russell Wallace wrote:
> Yes, that's what I was referring to. The equivalent of the religious
> fundamentalists who kill infidels for not believing in God would be
> those who did the same thing in the name of the atheist ideology of
> communism.

Communism is not necessarily an atheist ideology.  Historically there
have been Communists of religious conviction; for example Catholic
Communists during the early part of the 20th Century.

Atheism refers to the absence of belief in a deity.  Communism refers to
a political/economic system.  Let us not sully the fine term "atheism"
by improperly linking it with the term "communism".

Fred