[extropy-chat] Agency as Prime Determinant of Personal Identity

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Nov 5 03:33:57 UTC 2006

Heartland writes

> Lee:
> "There follows an extremely good example [in Jef's post] of how
> a single legal person can change rather dramatically over decades
> into who I'd call "someone else" (see Jef's *full* explication below)."
>
> Lee, wasn't that obvious? That's what you get for reducing your "self" to VMBs.

What!?   You're not understanding.  What is *different* between the
nine year old and the ninety year old in Jef's example is that the VMBs
*did* change.  It fits perfectly with the fact that we are so tempted
(and rightfully so) to question whether they are the same person.

> Eventually you realize that almost none of your VMBs at 2 are the same as your VMBs
> at 80 which forces you to admit that someone has died sometime between 2 and 80.
> Then you either admit this or choose to give up the idea that "VMBs = Self." :)

I *admit* that!   Too much change kills one.  It changes you into someone else.

Lee