[extropy-chat] the self identity quest - reply to Jef

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Nov 5 03:58:57 UTC 2006

Heartland  and Russell write

> [Russell wrote]
>> On 11/4/06, david ish shalom <davidishalom1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I do recommend to you Jef and others who really want to check this option
>>> of info survival to review carefully my work albeit its imperfection. I am
>>> sure you could gather something there. My motivation to spread this notion
>>> of info-resurrection comes from my realization that for this procedure to be
>>> practical and instrumental, it has to gather some social and memetic
>>> spreading. I will be thankful if  you can issue more concrete remarks to
>>> be answered.
>
> Russell Wallace:
>> Why does it have to gather any such thing? You're just talking about text,
>> pictures, sound and video, which we already have the technology to store.

But all these things will help fix who you are now.  This problem has
been discussed in cryonics circles for decades.  Fred and Linda
Chamberlain used to offer a service in which one is interviewed at
length on camera.  When you're revived---or uploaded---all this
information can be extremely important in getting "you" right.

>> Just get a nice big chunk of web space and start uploading everything about
>> yourself (and whoever you want to preserve who will consent to such) that
>> you can get hold of. Lead by example.

Yes, it's a start.  And for all I know David is going beyond this somehow.
But certainly all the records that you can leave behind that help specify
your identity are useful.

Slawomir (Heartland) writes

> I usually file these kinds of "info-ressurection" ideas under "SBA" (suicide by
> abstraction). Just take a picture of yourself and keep a diary - it's the true
> essence of immortality! :-)

Yes, it  *is* just suicide unless an actual causal process is reconstituted and
given runtime.  The pictures and data alone (of course) experience nothing.
We don't differ with you about the importance of *process*.  Our only
difference with you appears to be that any interruption of process or any
duplication destroys (so far as you see it) your identity.

As for me, I want to be *both* unfrozen and uploaded.  The more places
I run the better.

Lee