[extropy-chat] it's all understandable, except

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sun Nov 5 03:44:42 UTC 2006

From: "Al Brooks" <kerry_prez at yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2006 5:32 PM

> Yes, and it could be America is too large for the
> problem to be solved, it can only perhaps be lessened.
> What I wonder is: can it be one reason student
> performance is overall pretty low is because teachers
> and administrators not only inflate grades but also
> don't want to flunk ethnic students?

I don't know how relevant this is in 2006 - but when I was an "ethnic"
student back in the late 1950s (I was an immigrant, and had just spent my
first two school years in Rio de Janeiro, only knowing how to speak
Portuguese and Russian when I arrived in the USA), I was surprised at how
everyone in our American grammar school classes simply went on to the next
grade - whether or not they could read, spell, do arithmetic, or behave -
and as I remember it, there was nothing "ethnic" about the students in my
class who were the laggards (I have a visual memory of them to this day
...).  The school I attended in Rio was much stricter, and much, much more
advanced in terms of scholastics - I was doing long division and
multiplication, until I came to America ... when kids my age had barely
gotten into long addition.  I was also surprised that schools in America
taught art  - to me, it was "playtime" not school (I wasn't - and am not -
complaining about this - just pointing out the differences in my early
school experiences).  For all I know, schools in Rio have become more like
North American schools now ... but when I went, it was like "military
school" time - we wore uniforms, and unambiguous class rankings ... and the
#1 student had to give up his or her "#1 medal" to another student if they
got bested by another student in the class during the school year - the
report cards we got several times during the year showed one's ranking, and
that was that.

In Rio, it seemed like almost half my first grade class had to repeat that
class - and I remember seeing rather tall boys in some of the classes
(indicating to me they were put back once or twice or ...?).

Olga (ahem ... to this day, possessor of two #1 medals with Brazilian flag
colors ...(lol!))