[extropy-chat] the self identity quest (2)

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Nov 5 04:50:32 UTC 2006

At 11:02 AM 11/4/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>David wrote:
>
> > I think you, and most transhumanist,
>
>By the way, I consider myself more a humanist than a transhumanist, but
>the difference is subtle.

Perhaps it is today, but I can remember back in the mid 1980s when Alcor
had a presence at a Humanist convention in San Jose.  We were tossed out at
the request of the main speaker.

Snip

Re the rest of this post, I discussed "info-resurrection" with (or in the
context of) Hans Moravec and cryonics.  The quality control problem is so
bad that I expressed extreme doubt anyone would attempt such a thing.

I looked for it, but no luck.  Perhaps it was on the old Extropy mailing
list.  As I recall, I talked about using all the available information to
simulate Hans Moravec and the world around him to the point he wrote _Mind
Children_--discarding the versions that did not generate the manuscript
word for word.  I proposed that you would have to discard a lot of
versions, and expressed hope that the discard process would not be painful.

The conclusion was that cryonics was much less trouble.

Keith Henson