[extropy-chat] it's all understandable, except

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Sun Nov 5 07:43:08 UTC 2006

Lee Corbin wrote:

> The schools in the Santa Clara Valley and Fremont here in northern
> California, I do know from personal experience are doing excellent
> jobs with the brightest kids.  (There are some unfortunate counter-
> examples:  the Palo Alto high school district has been taken over by
> some levellers who have taken the pressure off the brightest kids to
> such an extent that parents I know have withdrawn their kids and are
> sending them to private schools. One teaching math spot remains
> open because the primary job qualification is that the teacher be black.
> The main focus (goal) in that high school district now---I kid you not
> ---to have everyone perform at the same level insofar as it is possible.)

Current in-house SIAI research personnel:

Marcello Herreshoff - recently graduated from Gunn high school, in the
Palo Alto district.  If they took any pressure off him to perform, it
sure doesn't show.

Eliezer Yudkowsky - gave up on the dying American educational system
after completing eighth grade.  Went to a private religious school for
K-8.  Would things have gone differently if I'd been in Palo Alto with
decently atheist parents?  Maybe, but in that case I probably wouldn't
be me.

Sometimes the System works.  Sometimes it doesn't.