[extropy-chat] all that concerns me is the future of education

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 17:26:58 UTC 2006

> Moreover, the services are much more racially integrated than society at
> large;  young men and women there mix freely while their counterparts
> on college campuses self-segregate.  Just visit your local college or
> university and go into commons or cafeteria room to see what I mean.

It may be that you are seeing what you want to see based on your own bias.

The same could be said about a homogeneous group of white
European-descendant Americans - they are likely to segregate themselves into
groups of Irish, German, French, etc.  Is the Caucasian element the issue?
Try a large population of Indian-Americans, they'll probably self-segregate
along cultural lines dependant on what district their family originated from
in India.  The same is probably true with a statistically valid sample of
African Americans segregating themselves along regional ancestry.  (for
example, the cultural ideology of a South African is probably as different
to an Egyptian as Mexican would be to Canadian)  We learn first from our
families.  The concept of community can be as inclusive or divisive as you
learn it to be.  I have been raised with diversity and appreciate it;
perhaps you have not.  Even with a family, there are groups with common
interests (Old/young, male/female, cousins you see frequently/those you
don't, Drinkers/non, etc.)  Does that make those members of your family who
you choose to associate with less often at your family reunion are (in your
opinion) worth less than those you do?

We may actually be in agreement, but I am having difficulty with the terms
you are using and how you are presenting your ideas.  I hope I am misreading
your intentions.