[extropy-chat] Effective relationships

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 6 03:29:42 UTC 2006

Wow that is a mind blower Avant.  When this question came up before, about 6
yrs ago, I estimated the half-life of marriages at about 15 yrs.  Looks like
I was off by a factor of 2.  It amazes me to think my own union has already
lasted three half-lives and we are just now starting on the spawning
process.

I have personally witnessed an apparent three-way relationship.  A friend
married while we were still in college, took up a one-bedroom apartment
across the street.  A mutual friend of theirs, female, was always visiting
over at their place, and eventually was living with them.  Of course there
was some curiosity as to whether he was actually sleeping with both women,
but no one asked.  Perhaps we were not sure we wanted to hear the answer.
Within a year he had moved out and the women stayed together in that
apartment.  Again, no one asked and no one volunteered any info.  I don't
see how that arrangement could possibly work long term, but I recognize my
deplorable lack of imagination when it comes to human relationships.