[extropy-chat] here's how complicated it is

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Tue Nov 7 06:18:43 UTC 2006

Lee Corbin wrote:
>Again, I fear we have the usual phenomenon when idealists
>speak up.  They compare the real against the ideal, and---
>guess what?---the real always falls short of their imaginings.

Lee, are you tarring everyone with the idealist's brush?  Boy, and here I thought I had made a case for 1) "School" is for "schooling" the masses -- get what you need and get the rest of your education elsewhere and 2) Maybe the problem is not within the institution, but within ourselves...

But it would be nice to allow people to vent their experiences and traumas as well.  And if you can't do it on a list like this, where could you?  Like the high-IQ societies I researched, I would guess most of us felt misunderstood by family and/or peers through most of our childhoods.  And maybe still do now.  If not, then you were damned lucky.

But I don't disagree with you.  Education everywhere is fraught with problems.  And we're not the majority.  We're a tiny, tiny minority.

I had an education vent on my blog when I was recuperating from the back thing.  With two kids in the CA public system, you just can't help it sometimes.  I just re-read it and it's not my best work to date, that's for sure.  And I can't even blame the Hillbilly Heroin -- I was off it!  But it does cover some of the issues we're covering.  It's called "Son of Sunrise Semester."  Did anybody on the list watch that as a kid?  I'd love to know how it affected you if you did.

http://pj-manney.blogspot.com/

Respectfully,
PJ