[extropy-chat] A Diversity Re: Just curious, it's not natural!

ben benboc at lineone.net
Tue Nov 7 22:32:57 UTC 2006

Anna wrote:

Ben wrote:
 >>Are you sure you mean what you say here? You
 >>actually feel that somebody's use of a word in a
 >>way that you disagree with, is a violation of your
 >>rights?

 >Yes I do.  I'm assuming then that you can tell me what
 >your thoughts are regarding the word "marriage".
 >Is it just a word without any symbols or associations?

Well then, i'm sorry, but i'm going to have to violate your rights!

My thoughts regarding the word? - well, of course the word has symbols
and associations, in my mind, otherwise i wouldn't be able to use it.
But they are very personal to me, in the sense that these symbols and
associations are useful only to me, and would likely be incomprehensible
to anyone else.

Apart from that, yes, it's just a word. What it means is a matter of
consensus. Language changes all the time, even the French can't change
that. No one of us has any 'right' to determine what a word should mean
to other people.

 > It doesn't bother you in the least that a "Union" can
 >represent transgender marriage, gay marriage, lesbian
 >marriage, heterosexual marriage, whatever goes..as
 >long as the legal ramifications remain the same?

Absolutely. I fail to see why anyone could object to that. Why should it
bother me, or anyone else?
A 'Union' is the business of the parties involved, and nobody else. If
they want their association to have a legal status, why should anyone
try to prevent it? If a commonly understood word is applied to that
union, then everyone will know what legal status it has.

It grieves me that someone who has been living with a partner for many
years, in a loving and caring relationship, can be denied things like
visiting rights in hospital if their partner is ill, just because they
aren't 'married', because they both happen to be male (or female). This
concept of marriage makes you belong in a family together. Why on earth
would anyone want to deny people this if they want it? It's beyond me.

 >Throughout history, did the word "marriage" ever refer
 >to 2 men or 2 women?

Is that relevant?
Look at the word 'gay'. It has changed with time. Things change. Bloody
good thing too, or Transhumanism would be totally meaningless.

 >If you want to create evolution don't use names that
 >have been around for 2000 years and try to change, use
 >the word "Singularity" to create something different.

Do you think the word 'marriage' has been around that long? and with the
same meaning all that time?
I don't know if it has or not, but i'd tend to doubt it. Still, it's
irrelevant, as i said above.

This has got nothing to do with the singularity, it's just about common
humanity.

ben zaiboc