[extropy-chat] here's how complicated it is

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Wed Nov 8 03:45:13 UTC 2006

>No, am not kidding. I honestly do not know if
>government provided physical education is necessary.
>Not everyone knows these things.

Websites and papers:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5336a5.htm

http://www.aahperd.org/NASPE/pdf_files/pos_papers/pe_critical.PDF

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/atoz/documents/The%20Health%20Benefits%20of%20Physical%20Education%20and%20Sport.pdf

http://www.pecentral.org/professional/defending/benefits.html

http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/pn/fd/documents/pefrwk.pdf

There is not much mention of the 'privitzation' issue of sports in these papers.  But I can tell you from having had children in association league sports, like Little League and AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization), that 1) not all kids can participate because of the costs involved;  2) not all parents can let them participate because of the parental involvement requirements or time commitments; 3) depending on the sport, the coach, etc., they can take up an amazing amount of a kid's time outside of school, which some kids might find difficult if they are involved in other pursuits, like the arts or tutoring or scouting or have excessive homework issues; 4) some of the parent-run leagues are very intense and some kids hate them.  [My own son quit soccer and wouldn't join basketball because of the @#$hole parents involved in both in our town.  One dad, who coached the opposing team, actually insulted my son after a game by telling him his successful blocking of all their attempted goals was bad, because his son's team lost.  After the dad walked away, my son turned to me, with a look of total disgust and said, "I'm not playing next year."  And that was that.  I just wish these dads (and they are all dads in my experience) would let their kids be kids and stop living out their own dashed dreams.  Ironically, my son is waiting for Jr. High and High School to join school football.  He knows the players' parents are less involved in school sports and thinks he'll enjoy it more then.]

If kids don't get physical activity at school, many kids won't get it at all.  And they obviously need them, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Respectfully,
PJ