[extropy-chat] it's all understandable, except

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 10:49:08 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Samantha Atkins wrote:
<snip>
> Given that a very large monetary crisis is imminent, what can we do
> individually and in small to large groups to insure as much of our own
> wellbeing and the preservation / continuation of as much of what is
> really important to us as possible.  I believe and was one of the
> first here to say that a major financial crash is imminent.  I believe
> that most of the so-called "war on terror" is a convenient excuse to
> jockey for hard assets while building up the capacity for draconian
> levels of power over the people at home before the s**t really hits
> the fan.
>
> So what can we do to make things better?   What shall we do in
> preparation if it is too late to do much to stop it?  What can we
> preserve and how?    How can we increase the odds that as much as
> possible of what we most care about will not be lost?

In the sense that the economy is always changing through the normal
cycle of boom and slump, and investment sectors are always moving in
and out of fashion, then there is always a financial crisis on the
horizon somewhere. Some crises are worse than others, of course.

If you are poor, or a wage slave with little savings, then there is
little you can do. Just the normal state of trying to improve your
situation, better job, better education, live more economically, etc.

If you have some savings, then try to do the same as the rich folk,
but to a lesser extent, obviously.

The rich always get richer, regardless of the economic problems,
because they have spare resources to take advantage of the situation.
Politics is pretty irrelevant to them, apart from creating a secure
environment within which they can operate to their best advantage.

If the currency is heading for a collapse, then move out of cash and
into real assets, or buy into a stronger currency.
If property is over-valued and heading for a price crash, then sell
your property portfolio before the price drops.
If the share market is headed for a crash, then sell shares before the crash.
If every investment in the country is going south, then invest abroad.

After the crash happens, buy up loads of the now cheap stuff, shares,
property, whatever.

This is all business as usual for the rich folk. Buy cheap, sell dear.
Crisis, what crisis?

BillK