[extropy-chat] A vignette on incongruent points of view

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Nov 9 03:42:36 UTC 2006

Robin wrote:
> At 02:40 PM 11/8/2006, Jef Allbright wrote:
>> Is it possible to bridge such a gap in understanding of each other's
>> point of view?
>> Is there some way to show the second man that he's living only a
>> shallow imitation of a life?
>> Oops, I meant the first man.
>
> Why should how we feel or what we think about be determined by where
> we are?   Why shouldn't two friends at the same place at the same
> time not think about different topics with different goals,
> if they have different personalities and backgrounds?  You
> don't have to be the same as me to be my friend.

In my relationships, as a heterosexual male INTJ, I have always been
attracted to female ENFPs because their strengths are complementary to
my own.  It's not always easy, but the synergies are wonderful. ;-)

As a technical manager I've always hired for complementary viewpoints
and capabilities as well, but most qualified candidates in this field
start with *NT*.

As a related aside, I had intended in my recent reply to Russell to
mention the rationalist appreciation of dissent and diversity.

****But how best to create a bridge to understanding across incongruent
world views****

As an INTJ, I would prefer something similar to the mathematical work
being done with fair division (cake slicing theory) but there I go
exposing my Pythagorean tendencies again.

- Jef