[extropy-chat] Detectives and red herrings (was Survivaltangent)

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 04:05:17 UTC 2006

> know.  Suppose that I determine that Eliezer or someone can more
> effectively "promote my values into the future" than I can.  So I
> should agree to stop being me, and let there be two of him? No
> way!  Call me selfish, but these VBM are going to stick around
> if they can help it, especially the memories.
>
> > To the extent that the future world contains an
> > entity representing Self, then it can be said that
> > Self "survived."  To the extent that multiple agents
> > represent Self, then it can be said that
> > they are indeed Self.
>
> I agree.  But it's absolutely mandatory from my perspective that
> things supposed to be Myself have my *memories* in order to
> be me.  The values and beliefs are definitely secondary, though
> important, in my opinion.

If you lose memories, do you lose your self?  If as you age, you release
your childhood attachments - even to the point where that which is
traditionally referred to as wisdom prevails and you come to stop caring
about others' definitions of PI because they have no bearing on your own -
and that you have stated your own beliefs as clearly as can ever be
expressed by language - is there a point where you turn away from the group
and strive for a transcendent perspective?

* you = the reader, rather than specifically Lee (having been the last one
to post to this thread before I caught up)