[extropy-chat] Just curious, it's not natural! (2)

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Thu Nov 9 20:04:50 UTC 2006

At 10:18 PM 10/31/2006 -0800, Lee wrote:
>Robert writes
>
> > On 10/31/06, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> >
> > > But what happened to *me* in there?   I'm more than my memes, pal.
> > > Don't forget my memories.
>
> > Well memories are memes and at least some of them are essential
> > components of the survival and reproduction processes.

>Memories are memes???  That does violence to the concept so far
>as I understand it.

The essence of a meme is can the information be transferred.  So a meme
about how to tie shoes in a person's brain is a memory and a meme because
the information can be transferred.  But the other way around does not work
because I cannot transfer my memory of looking out over the Grand Canyon to
anyone else.

Keith Henson