[extropy-chat] SEX! (Re: Martine Rothblatt and bemes)

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Nov 10 18:12:07 UTC 2006

At 11:27 PM 11/9/2006 +0100, Anders wrote:

snip

>  Already memes
>are problematic as replicators since they are hard to delineate from
>surrounding cognitive structures,

Hi Anders

In my opinion, the only logical way to consider memes is as pure
information.  True, they have to be in a brain to have effects, just like a
gene has to be in a cell or a computer virus has to be in a computer.

But the essence of a meme is the information.

So memes are replicating information patterns, elements of culture, ideas,
beliefs, etc, etc.

But it all comes down to the same thing, information measurable in bits.

I have been seriously annoyed at people who tried to mystify such a simple
subject.  They distract from the really interesting interface between
evolutionary psychology and memetics which elucidates subjects as important
to humans as germ theory.

Keith Henson