[extropy-chat] it's all understandable, except

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 10 22:20:42 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of pjmanney
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] it's all understandable, except

> >http://www.masada2000.org/nobel.html are sure due to IQ alone. But
> >please read http://www.masada2000.org/Powerful-Jews.html
> >especially the very last line. Yeah, sometimes it's that simple.
>
> As an Ashkenazi, I can say, Yes.  It is that simple.  Take a good look at
> that Nobel list.  ... my grandmother said: "Ach mein Gott, you
> COULD have been a doctor!"  My father said: "Oh my God, you COULD have
> been a rocket scientist!"  Nobody, not even my mother, wanted me to be a
> lawyer.
>
> Such were their expectations for me, as good Jews.
> PJ

Thanks PJ.  Your comments were a kick for me: my mother's side were
Ashkenazi, but had assimilated into the christian culture around 1910.  The
value system somehow survived: top of the heap for a promising child is to
become a doctor, or a science professor at a college.  Next was a lawyer or
an accountant.  Below that on the respectability scale was a businessman or
builder, but only if you are wildly successful and made a ton of money.  An
engineer is below that, but still way above an entertainer or professional
athlete.

{8^D