[extropy-chat] Survival (was Agency...)

Heartland velvethum at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 11 01:04:56 UTC 2006

Slawomir:
>> Not yet, Lee. So far you've identified the correct criterion (capacity to
>> preserve life) by which we should judge importance of X vs. Y. Next part is the
>> evaluation of your X (memories) with respect to that criterion. In other words,
>> using a non-arbitrary definition of life (this is crucial) please show me how
>> "preservation of memories" implies "preservation of life?"

BillK:
> If you had ever lived for years with an old person who was developing
> Alzheimer's disease with gradually failing memory, you would
> appreciate that after a certain stage in the disease the 'mind' has
> died. The body is still 'alive' and walking around but the person that
> you knew for years has died.

I have an even better example. People with dissociative fugue are known to suddenly
forget some or all their past, including who they are, yet their minds continue to
exist and function. Somehow, they continue to live in absence of personal memories.
I count that as strong evidence (actually a proof) that maintaining the same
personal memories is not necessarily required for someone to live.

*This* instance of mind would rather suffer from dissociative fugue than die.

Slawomir