[extropy-chat] META: HTML posts

Michael M. Butler mmbutler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 00:38:14 UTC 2006

On 11/11/06, pjmanney <pj at pj-manney.com> wrote:
> Damien wrote:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//dev/null
>
> That would presuppose I actually understood the entry.  Greek, my friend.  Greek.  As I have said many times before, some of us speak different languages.  My English is fluent.  My "Computer" isn't.

PJM:

Perhaps your eyes glazed over quickly; Wikipedia isn't the best
reference for jargon translations, as the entries get puffed out of
shape by "unending" edits.

However, in the first line of the ref'd Wikipedia entry, please note:

" ...discards all data written to it[.]"

So the utterance "I direct {all x} to /dev/null" is intended to be
read "I delete {all x}, without paying other attention to it."

There you go.

--
      Michael M. Butler  :  m m b u t l e r  ( a t )  g m a i l . c o m