[extropy-chat] A vignette on incongruent points of view

Andrew Burrows andrewcburrows at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 9 01:21:21 UTC 2006

One may ask,
How can a being understand a new experience while retaining the old
experience?

A being may think:
I live in the present state because I am derived from the past.
While after some time this being decides:
This conscious instance is momentary, reality is formed from a stream of
chaos, jumping from random state to random state.

Both are rational thoughts, but they contradict each other. Can we not
understand both at the same time?
One may understand both, but can only enact one's actions based on one
belief.
There are so many ambiguities in reality, that some ideas are never going to
be held by consensus.
The best we can hope to achieve is to context switch at the right time,
afterall no one wants to be in a stagnant state for too long.