[extropy-chat] Just curious, it's not natural! (2)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Mon Nov 13 04:52:11 UTC 2006

Keith writes

> The original question was about memories being
> memes, and *some* memories, for example how to chip a hand ax, or put a
> person on cardiac bypass are memes in that people can learn them from
> another person.

Yes, *some* memories are memes.

What I was objecting to was describing memories as memes.  Only *some*
are. Hardly all. In fact, very few of one's memories are memes, especially,
I suppose if you're not into "group think".

And specifically---to return to the prior question---when I state that
memories are vital to personal identity, it is hopefully clear that this
does not simply include the ones that happen to be memes.  Poor will
I be, if I am at all, if my memories are only the memes I happened to be
harboring when suspended or uploaded.

Lee