[extropy-chat] Mastectomy Hospital Bill in Congress

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 16:15:52 UTC 2006

It would appear that the Congresscritters are again trying to win
votes by shamelessly exploiting an emotionally charged issue, trying
to position themselves as defenders of poor women, while in fact
acting to make their situation worse.

Where without the bill women had the option of choosing a cheaper plan
with no hospital stay coverage (but better than having no plan), now
they will have to pay for a more expensive one, even if early
discharge to home was something they would opt for. As a result, poor
women will be less likely to be insured while the rich ones will enjoy
redistribution of resources from other insured persons, even if they
could afford paying for an extended stay out of pocket.

This is a very inefficient, and frankly disgusting situation, which is
why I and my family have opted out of conventional health insurance in
favor of a health savings account, where we ourselves decide whether
to spend our money or keep it.

Rafal

On 11/14/06, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:

>  From a friend:
>

>  If you know anyone who has had a mastectomy, you may know that there is a
> lot of discomfort and pain afterwards. Insurance companies are trying to
> make mastectomies an outpatient procedure.
>
>  There's a bill called the Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act which will
> require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour hospital stay for
> patients undergoing a mastectomy. It's about eliminating the "drive-through
> mastectomy" where women are forced to go home just a few hours after
> surgery, against the wishes of their doctor, still groggy from anesthesia
> and sometimes with drainage tubes still attached.
>
>  Lifetime Television has put this bill on their web page with a petition
> drive to show support. Last year over half the House signed on.  Please,
> sign the petition by clicking on the web site below.
>
> http://www.lifetimetv.com/health/breast_mastectomy_pledge.html
>
>  This takes about 10 seconds. Please pass this on to your friends and
> family, and on behalf of all women.  Thanks.
>

>  "Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."
>  Bill Murray as Phil Connors
>

>  Natasha Vita-More Cultural Strategist - Design Media Artist - Futurist PhD
> Candidate, Planetary Collegium Proactionary Principle Core Group, Extropy
> Institute Member, Association of Professional Futurists Founder,
> Transhumanist Arts & Culture
>
>  If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the circle,
> then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what is inside the
> circle and everything outside the circle, then that is an open system
> perspective. - Buckminster Fuller

Rafal Smigrodzki, MD-PhD
Chief Clinical Officer,
Gencia Corporation
706 B Forest St.

Charlottesville, VA 22903

tel: (434) 295-4800

fax: (434) 295-4951

This electronic message transmission contains information from the
biotechnology firm of Gencia Corporation which may be confidential or
privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us by
telephone (434-295-4800) or by electronic mail
(fportell at genciabiotech.com) immediately.