[extropy-chat] 'a process of non-thinking called faith' 2 (2)

Acy Stapp acy.stapp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 21:47:14 UTC 2006

Human children naturally believe most everything their parents tell them.
This is obviously adaptive as it is something of a prerequisite for the
transmission of human culture and also allows children to learn from rare
experiences their parents or tribe have had (eg 'Call for help if you see a
lion') before they have had a chance to experience things for themselves.

Religion is a memetic virus which rides on top of this. Faith is the
component which teaches that to question the nature of things is bad and
that to accept what you are taught is true and complete. It's basically an
immune system for religious memes.

Dawkin's new book "The God Delusion" is quite informative and well written
and I recommend it to all here.

Acy

--
Acy Stapp

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how
to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not
beautiful, I know it is wrong." -- R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983)