[extropy-chat] 'a process of non-thinking called faith' 2 (2)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 18 06:00:43 UTC 2006

--- Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
> Faith is the
> >component which teaches that to question the nature
> of things is bad and
> >that to accept what you are taught is true and
> complete. It's basically an
> >immune system for religious memes.

Self-enforced ignorance is not the same as faith.
Faith can move mountains, ignorance can't even pay the
bills.

> Dawkins is one of the most influential people in my
> life.  But I think he
> is going off in the wrong direction in directly
> fighting religions without
> making an effort to understand why the capacity for
> religions was adaptive
> in the past.  I find the result like being against
> fevers when that is not
> the root cause of the problem but a symptom.

Perhaps he has considered that and still finds
fundamentalist religion (not really fundamentalism at
all but enforced ignorance) too risky to tolerate. I
can't really blame him. I am there myself. . . and I
am a mystic.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."- Siddhartha Guatama aka Buddha.

Sponsored Link

Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr
MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Assoc
http://yahoo.degrees.info