[extropy-chat] Suicide the Green way

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sat Nov 18 21:28:46 UTC 2006

Just a little amusement, with a slight Jonathan Swift quality:

'What is the most ethical way to commit suicide?'
New on spiked: 'Ask Ethan'. Our columnist Ethan Greenhart answers
your soul-searching questions about how to live the green and ethical life.

Dear Ethan,

After careful consideration I have decided to end my life. Things
haven't been going very well for me lately, but more importantly I am
keen to reduce my carbon impact on the planet. Like the average
Briton I probably produce around 9.3 tonnes of carbon each year. I am
26 years old, and reckon I could live for another 60 years; if I end
things now I will save a total of 558 tonnes of carbon, for which I
believe future generations should be grateful. But I have a question:
what is the most ethical way to commit suicide? I don't want my
self-destruction to be destructive to the planet!

Yours faithfully,
Zach Montague
Richmond-upon-Thames

Dear Zach,

I empathise with your selfless decision. All responsible studies show
that there are just too many people living on this planet for life to
be sustainable. At least you have had the courage to do something
about it, in a small and local way.

continued:
http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/earticle/2100/

Max