[extropy-chat] 'a process of non-thinking called faith' 2 (2)

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Nov 19 02:46:14 UTC 2006

At 06:14 PM 11/17/2006 -0600, Kevin wrote:

snip

>But I do not subscribe to your notion of a lower level gene driven program
>of genocide.

Ok, though you might note that chimps practice genocide on neighbors.

>If anything it's a defense mechanism where they feel that if they do not
>kill, they will be killed.

And that defense mechanism is *not* the result of genes that build brains?

>I think that even if they were all genetic clones, after years of being
>taught different things, living in different cultures and experiencing
>different lives, they would still be killing each other.

Oh.  I misunderstood your meaning.  What I guess you mean is a
disinclination to kill those closely related even when there is a massive
resource crunch.  Humans don't have genetic analyzers so we make do with
proxy information that was reliable enough when we lived in hunter gather
bands.  All those in the band could be considered related, family members
were close relatives.

Easter Island was settled by about 20 people, probably already closely
related.  There followed about 400 years of peaceful population growth,
reaching perhaps as many as 20,000 people and grossly over exploiting the
resources of the island.  One day they downed the tools they had been using
to make the statues, and went at each other with rocks till 95% of the
population was dead.  At that point the wars ended.  A generation or two
later Europeans visited (a disaster in itself).

The point here is that there was a *long* period with little or no
warfare.  What turned it on and what turned it off?

Keith