[extropy-chat] Why Identify With That Which is Different? (was Re: a process of non-thinking called faith)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Nov 19 19:00:18 UTC 2006

Robert writes

> As I've stated before I don't really want to live in a world
> where I know that an AGI is running around climbing the
> curve at the limits imposed by the laws of physics.

You'd rather be dead???   Or did you simply mean,
"I'd *prefer* to live in a world in which no AGI is
running around climbing the curve..."?

> It forces me into a position of giving up my "position" so as
> to effectively become equivalent to the the AGI (where the
> past me is probably becoming a microfraction of myself at
> an extremely rapid rate)

I note your use of the word "my" in the first phrase, and your
use of "past me" as something distinct from "myself" in the
last phrase.

If you are going to "be" in a future world, I'm sorry, but it makes
far more logical and rational sense to identify with versions that
are closer to who you are now than with versions that are more
different. Moreover, identification with versions that are less
similar is almost surely erroneous and false to facts.

Lee