[extropy-chat] LA Times article on hallucinogens

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Nov 21 18:04:34 UTC 2006

Ben wrote:
> Yeah, there is the element of "anything shocking can shake
> the mind out of its rut" ... but there is also much more to
> it than that.
>
> There is a large literature on psychedelic psychology so I
> won't repeat the basics here, though...

Ben -

I think you mistook my point.  Also it may help you to know that I am
speaking from personal experience as well as being acquainted with a
substantial amount of the literature.

The drugs certainly do induce powerful effects.  However, my point was
that it is the *experience*, rather than the chemicals, that provides
the lasting results.

My point may be clearest with regard to LSD which is metabolized to
undetectable levels with a few hours.  The secondary effects (levels of
neurotransmitters for example) may be detectable for a few days.  The
psychological effects, similar to those resulting from other experiences
that "shock" one out of rut, can last a lifetime.

Does this clarify?

- Jef