[extropy-chat] 'a process of non-thinking called faith' 2 (2)

Thomas Thomas at thomasoliver.net
Sat Nov 25 00:30:11 UTC 2006

Al Brooks wrote:

>  Okay, the Iraq invasion was a mistake and a failure but now the task
> is for the Allies to extricate in a way that avoids turning Iraq
> into another Cambodia.
> Let's look at the outlook for the war as a whole: it will continue for
> decades as we are attempting to impose our commercial Western values
> on the other side, the other side is attempting to impose their
> extreme authoritarian (or totalist) Islamic values on us-- which makes
> it irreconcilable. I give two cheers for the Allied side because the
> other side wants to kill by direct, political, means while our side
> wants to kill by indirect, economic, means. That's my judgment call.
> You have your own call.
> You don't think intellectuals in college towns and so forth know where
> to go from here with such an intractable situation, do you? I don't
> know what to do and don't think any of you po' fessors and po'
> fessionals know what to do either. Second guessing the fumbles the
> Bush administration has made since the Iraq war planning-stage doesn't
> help much; gloating about it doesn't comfort civilians in Iraq; no
> aspect of this hideous, ominous WWIII ought to be gloated over.
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=41244/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>

It's not a war, at least not our war.  Why make it worse?   Their civil
war is none of our business.  We don't need the oil.  We have hydrogen.
 The Grand Oil Party has overstayed it's welcome.  Immediate withdrawal
is the obvious course when your hand is on a hot burner.  This is not
rocket science!