[extropy-chat] the Renaissance and Enlightenment all rolled into one

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 26 15:44:59 UTC 2006

Jeff, no one here has said that Islam is conducting an imperialist war, there are those-- no one knows the exact number-- conducting a war in the name of Islam, with a large number of known and unknown sympathizers. For its part America is conducting an imperialist commercial war. Of course the US wants the petroleum in the Mideast, sure, petroleum is America's lifeblood. No one deep down thinks America is in this war to inculcate the forgiving love of Christ. Who would really think so, a Sean Hannity?
  The ambitious and industrious Islamic Republic of Iran is very active in this war, which admittedly is a rather indescribable, assymetrical, war. We can possibly discuss WWII as a war with three fronts, Eastern, Pacific, Western and Italian; but this war? It is hard to grasp even if one is a po' fessor.
  The Cold War continued for about 44 years, until finally all avenues of prosecuting the war were pretty much exhausted then Gorbachev and his associates decided to cut it short. It seems this war will also continue until all possibilities have been exhausted, unless we were all to change the way we think & act, like the Renaissance and Enlightenment all rolled into one and then some. The other day I was sitting at the Thanksgiving table thinking how trapped in the past it was. Naturally there is a reason for it, Thanksgiving is a tradition to link us with the past, to bring kin together in a shared experience. Strange as it may sound, war is also a 'tradition';  war, though is extremely ugly and wrenching, also links us to the past. You are not going to deny we are in many ways trapped in the past, are you?

  Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:

Fox news flapdoodle. No truth in it at all. Southern baptists want
everyone in the world to be baptists (and if you refuse, you'll burn
in hell for all eternity), but that ain't gonna happen either.

--
Best, Jeff Davis