[extropy-chat] the Renaissance and Enlightenment all rolled into one

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 26 20:50:26 UTC 2006

Fair enough. But to transform from this hightech national-barbarism we are in to real civilization has a time frame unimaginable. What worries me regarding the singularity is it is projected: it concerns nanofactories that haven't been built yet; wealth that hasn't been created, and so forth. In school forty years ago I heard about Moon bases, living over the age of 100, voyages to Mars. The Cold War ended but today we are at war with Islamics steeped in ideology from the middle ages, so optimistically one could say the future took a little bit of a detour.
  Thomas, you too have doubts-- don't you?

Thomas <Thomas at thomasoliver.net> wrote:

Turning negative effects from the past into positive causes in the
present by marshalling resources and taking personal responsibility --
isn't that extropian SOP? I would add the Romantic movement to your
"and then some" for a good dose of free will.