[extropy-chat] MISSING: Full Coverage of Max and ExI in Wikipedia's Transhumanism

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Nov 28 20:17:13 UTC 2006

At 07:55 PM 11/28/2006 +0000, BillK wisely wrote:

>Of course Dante was not referring to what we mean by modern transhumanism.
>He was talking about a transcendental experience of God.

Yes indeed. It's badly misleading to try to conscript Dante's
theological usage to >H-ism. (It'd make about as much sense as trying
to drag in "transhumance", which at least might elicit a dry academic
chuckle.) Julian Huxley was much closer to what we intend. As I
recall across the decades, Huxley also favored the useful "teleonomy"
as a term denoting a kind of self-imposed directionality to
evolution, rather than any "teleology" imposed by an imaginary Higher Being.

Damien Broderick