[extropy-chat] Rational thinking was Movie review- (2)

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 21:49:14 UTC 2006

You read the McGinnis article? Self deception is pandemic; the self is divided, the rational acquisitive calculating self is not in line with the spontaneous adventurous celebratory self. Given this and more how could less intelligent people possibly be rational? And then pump a few drinks into them and they are in a reality of their own creation. They take drink & drugs to, it goes without saying, deliberately escape from rationality altogether-- that on top of the irrationality the unwashed possess without the aid of chemical escapism.
  Rationalism? Who? when? where? All day long I meet those in a parallel universe of religiosity (often bad religion); conspiracy theorization; "love" relationships (contempt is not infrequently disguised as love)...
  Rationalism? There's a car in the backyard you can have for $50. No engine, it's rusty, but the price can't be beat.

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 11/28/06, Keith Henson wrote:
> Like everyone on this list, I value rational thoughts. But it is obvious
> this is a minority viewpoint for the population in general.
>
> Why?
>
> Can anyone answer this from an evolutionary psychology point of view?

It is explained quite nicely in the Time Magazine article on risk
assessment recently posted by p j manney.

Quotes:

Part of the problem we have with evaluating risk, scientists say, is
that we're moving through the modern world with what is, in many
respects, a prehistoric brain. We may think we've grown accustomed to
living in a predator-free environment in which most of the dangers of
the wild have been driven away or fenced off, but our central nervous
system--evolving at a glacial pace--hasn't got the message.

"There are two systems for analyzing risk: an automatic, intuitive
system and a more thoughtful analysis," says Paul Slovic, professor of
psychology at the University of Oregon. "Our perception of risk lives
largely in our feelings, so most of the time we're operating on system
No. 1."