[extropy-chat] Rational thinking was Movie review- (2)

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Nov 29 04:44:25 UTC 2006

Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Keith Henson <hkhenson at rogers.com> wrote:
>> At 05:46 AM 11/28/2006 -0500, Robert wrote:
>> Heh.  What would the rational thought that explained irrational
thinking be
>> worth?
>
> hmm... Extropian Koan...

Well, as currently stated it's mundane because we often provide rational
explanations of irrational thinking.

But if we're talking about rational thought *justifying the use of*
"irrational" thinking, then we quickly encounter the powerful concept of
rationality fundamentally bounded by limited knowledge and computational
capacity.

   The novice asked the master "I have learned that
   all knowledge is contingent, that the best I can
   do is to allocate probability mass wisely.  But
   is there no certainty in the universe?"

   At that moment a spider fell from the ceiling onto
   the master's arm.  The master swatted it deftly.

   At the moment, the novice was enlightened.