[extropy-chat] Rational thinking was Movie review- (2)

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Nov 29 19:40:06 UTC 2006

            ****************
> - Unless you train yourself not to, you will feel bad when
> you choose a rational approach over an intuitive one when
> there is a non-trivial difference, by definition.
            ****************

[The above statement is so important and little recognized, it bears
highlighting]

> - So rational thought is for most people difficult and acting
> on it makes them feel bad. I think many people's intuitive
> morality is based on how they feel about things, so in fact
> they may also come to view going with a rational choice over
> gut instinct as morally wrong (because it "feels wrong").

I think this is a HUGE part of the impasse in mutual understanding
between Thinkers and Feelers.  I've lived in California much of my life,
where there's a strong popular sentiment to "go with your feelings",
"trust the truth of your feelings", and so on.  It's actually considered
a hallmark of higher wisdom by many.

What is not nearly so popularly recognized is that while our feelings
are very real, they are very simple in their relection of the perceived
well-being of the organism...er, person.  Emotions tend to be simple
black and white in their responses and while very quick to activate,
they are generally slow to subside, these traits providing increased
fitness for our ancestors.  So to the extent that the present situation
is more complex or otherwise differs from the environment of
evolutionary adaption or of childhood development, the emotional
indicators are likely to be inaccurate. Worse yet, in many cases
emotions are self-perpetuating.  "I wouldn't be anxious if I felt safe."

Thanks again, Emlyn, for pointing out that it is normal and expected
that *good rational decisions will not feel good* when they differ from
the simple untrained signals of the emotional system.

- Jef